DISCOVER VAL D'AMOURS AREA
The Acadian people are those great families whose ancestors, as uprooted and subject to threshing, have not completely delivered the grain, but rather produced a bountiful and stronger harvest than ever before.
This community includes five (5) very distinct localities, namely Val d'Amours, McKendrick (also called Seven Mile Ridge), Maltais (named after the installation of the post office in the house of Alex Maltais), Malauze (so called in memory of the Battle of Restigouche) and Lac-des-Lys (which counted seven (7) families in 1866). Until 1891, the religious service was usually sung once a week in a part of the house belonging to Mr. Thomas Levesque. Subsequently, the people of Tobique bought the property of Mr. Charles Gray to build a chapel. The Val-d'Amours Post Office opened in 1896. In 1898, the community consisted of a sawmill, a church and a population of 350 inhabitants living from agriculture and logging.
Around 1901-1902, Tobique was renamed Coal Brook, invoking the name of the river that winds through the valley and on which, in the spring, valiant loggers were constantly risking their lives. Until 1922, the mission, which became a parish in 1917, retained the name of Coal Brook. The McKendrick Post Office opened in 1904. According to the parish register of 1905, ninety-one families are registered in the community. On April 18, 1906, the curate of Campbellton, Mr. Arthur Melanson, initiated the construction of a second church whose construction is finalized on December 15 of the same year. The Notre-Dame-du-Sacré-Coeur parish of Val-d'Amours was built in 1907. In 1922, Father Joseph Paul Levesque changed the name of Coal Brook to Val D'Amours in honor of Father Ernest D'Amours who was the first parish priest in 1907. The post office of Malauze was inaugurated in 1937, followed by that of Lac-des-Lys in 1938; all three remained in existence until 1958. To meet the growing needs of the population, a third church was erected in the fall of 1949 (the Church of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart of Val d'Amours). It underwent major renovations in 1970 to the great happiness and pride of the parishioners.
In the sixties, the authorities decided to regroup the communities of Val d'Amours, McKendrick, Maltais, Malauze and Lac-des-Lys into one, which now bears the name of Val d'Amours, though it is not uncommon to hear people still refer to their locality by their community’s old name. All attend the church of Val D'Amours, with each locality maintaining its own school. Until 1967, Restigouche County was divided into parishes with each comprise of districts. This is how Val d'Amours forms district no. 3, McKendrick, District no. 6, Maltais, district no. 4 ½ and Malauze, district no. 3 ½. The first school to open was Val d'Amours in 1891. The school taught children until 1910. It was later demolished and rebuilt, remaining in existence until 1958, and finally becoming part of the brand new school built in 1967. Called the 'Monsignor-Melanson' school, it will welcome students from kindergarten to Grade 6. In 1895, and until 1954, the McKendrick School District also had a school. At the beginning of the 20th century, it is the turn of the districts of Maltais and Malauze to be granted permission to build schools. In 1967, Monsignor Melanson School will host the youth from the districts of McKendrick, Maltais, Malauze and Lac-des-Lys, finally closing its doors in January 2018.
In 1974, the population of Val D'Amours counted 385 families, for a total of 1946 inhabitants. A volunteer fire brigade and a fire station were in operation in 1984 under the responsibility of Mr. Julien Ouellette. Mr. Ouellette will remain fire chief until 2015, with the fire brigade playing a major role in Val d'Amours’ community development.
On December 8, 2014, after two years of negotiations and hearings, a project for the amalgamation of the LSDs of Val d'Amours and Saint-Arthur with Atholville is born, and a brand new adventure begins for the region’s population united as a single community.